Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Reading: DCA, Chapter 5 (pgs 115-141)

Line, is art terms, is the most direct means of establishing style. So, for me is how I express the feeling in a drawing. Say i try to convey elegance or raw energy, outrage or wit ( not sure how to express the last one, but I think I could come up with something); but such gestures can be included in contour drawings, charcoal and automatic drawings and even self portraits like Philip Guston. But keeping in mind that a line drawing has no shading throughout the whole work of art, it's just the combination of lines and the variety of lines that give it its apeal.
While reading about line, something caught my intrest. Under "using implied line" on page 136, the drawing Henry in Candlelight by David Hockney was very intresting. It was in the section called "Blurred line" which apparently are smudged lines by rubbing, which kinda confused me on the no shadding part that contributes to line, however the drawing can still be construde as a line drawing. A blurred and smudged lines create an "indefinate edge thereby resulting in an ambiguous space".

"I discovered that sometimes the in-between lines is as important as the line itself"- Gego



No comments:

Post a Comment